Pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, aging, and the stresses of motherhood may change your breasts and body in ways that can affect your self-image and confidence. For women who wish to restore a more rejuvenated figure, breasts, and face, experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in Philadelphia—Joseph DiBello, MD—performs mommy makeover procedures, which are customized to achieve a variety of aesthetic improvements. The mommy makeover process is highly personalized to address each woman’s cosmetic priorities with results that look both natural and beautiful.
To learn more about the mommy makeover procedure, please explore the informative sections below and contact DiBello Plastic Surgery to schedule your personal consultation.
What Is a Mommy Makeover?
A mommy makeover is a newer term to describe a combination of cosmetic procedures that address common concerns following pregnancy and breastfeeding. Each of these components are considered “tried and true,” since they have a long, successful, and safe track record.
The joys and rewards of childbearing are often accompanied by effects on a woman’s body that are unable to be reversed by diet and exercise alone. Also known as post-pregnancy surgery, the mommy makeover procedure focuses on procedures designed to address the areas that are affected most dramatically with pregnancy and breastfeeding, specifically the abdomen and the breasts.
Many times pregnancy and breastfeeding will negatively affect the size and shape of the breasts, causing them to lose their youthful shape and firmness. Pregnancy may also result in stretch marks, as well as a loss of skin and muscle tone on the abdomen. There may also be persistent pockets of fat on your waist, abdomen, arms, or thighs that do not improve with diet and exercise.
Dr. DiBello and his staff are there to consult with you, listen to your needs or concerns, provide thorough answers, and always do it with the highest level of care and attention. A consultation with Dr. DiBello will help you determine if you are a candidate for a mommy makeover. At that time, Dr. DiBello will discuss his personalized approach to your surgery as well as important considerations involved in mommy makeover surgery.
After a year long search of plastic surgeons, I found Dr. DiBello to be very professional and highly recommended. My results were far beyond what I expected. Dr. DiBello performed a “Mommy Makeover” and I look amazing. He is a phenomenal surgeon, has a great staff, and very nice office. At my initial consultation I was sold by everything Dr. Dibello had to offer. Most importantly, HE KEEPS HIS WORD. (There were no hidden fees). Dr. DiBello shows his concerns and appreciate you for being a patient. Thank you for helping me get myself back!
September 23, 2021
Dr. DiBello is the best! I look awesome after my "mommy makeover." Just sorry I didn't do this for myself sooner.
What Does a Mommy Makeover Consist Of?
Each mommy makeover procedure is individualized by Dr. DiBello, tailoring the procedure(s) to your needs and goals. The combination of procedures offered to you by Dr. DiBello and that you have elected to undergo will dictate whether these will be done as a single procedure or in stages. In either case, Dr. DiBello’s primary concern is your safety while trying to provide you with the optimum outcome. In that regard, and since almost all mommy makeover procedures include a tummy tuck (and require more than four hours of surgery), general anesthesia at the hospital with an overnight stay will be advised and planned. A typical makeover might include a combination of the following procedures:
Mommy Makeover Abdominal Options
Based on the condition of your midsection, Dr. DiBello can choose from a variety of techniques to restore a smoother, tighter, leaner abdomen:
- Tummy Tuck (full or mini abdominoplasty) – When abdominal skin becomes stretched and loose around the midsection, Dr. DiBello may recommend a full tummy tuck or mini-abdominoplasty to remove excess inelastic skin, as well as smooth and tighten the abdominal contours. Additionally, he can tighten and repair stretched abdominal muscles and remove excess fat via liposuction to further sculpt the results.
- Liposuction – For women with good skin elasticity and areas of stubborn, excess fat in the abdominal region, Dr. DiBello can sculpt and recontour the midsection utilizing liposuction techniques. The Lipo 360° technique may be of particular interest to mommy makeover patients who desire fat reduction and precision sculpting around the full circumference of the midsection for optimal improvement at every angle.
Mommy Makeover Breast Options
- Breast Lift – A breast lift can elevate the position of the breasts, improve shape, and enhance symmetry. The procedure includes the removal of excess, inelastic skin that characterizes a sagging appearance, repositioning of the nipples, and, typically, areola size reduction.
- Breast Augmentation with Lift – In addition to accomplishing the same goals as a breast lift, the breast augmentation with lift procedure includes the placement of breast implants and/or transferred fat to restore diminished breast volume, enlarge breast size, and/or enhance breast shape.
- Breast Reduction – For overly large, heavy breasts that are causing physical pain and have a drooping appearance, Dr. DiBello can utilize breast reduction techniques to create lighter, more proportionate breasts that have a more compact size and appealing appearance.
Mommy Makeover Body Options
- Liposuction – Areas of excess fat that are resistant to dieting and exercise can be addressed with liposuction techniques. Liposuction can be performed on almost any area of the body including the legs, buttocks, back, and arms to create a smoother, leaner appearance.
- Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) – Buttock augmentation using the Brazilian butt lift (BBL) technique can restore diminished buttock volume and add enhanced size and shape using your own fat. The goal of the procedure is to create more lifted and shapely buttocks that balance and enhance the overall proportions of your figure. The fat transfer techniques used to accomplish BBL also have the added benefit of reducing excess fat from other areas of the body.
- Body Lift – For women who have gained and lost a significant amount of weight during and following pregnancy, a customized body lift may be the most suitable approach for rejuvenating both the abdominal region and lower body. This procedure can effectively address loose skin in the abdomen, hips, buttocks, and thighs (inner, outer, and posterior), as well as smooth and sculpt areas of excess fat.
Mommy Makeover Facial Options
- To restore a more refreshed and rejuvenated appearance to the face, a mommy makeover for some women may also include facial plastic surgery procedures and/or non-surgical facial enhancements—such as BOTOX® Cosmetic, dermal fillers, and effective skin treatments. These various techniques and procedures can address several signs of facial aging—including wrinkles, volume loss, inelastic skin, thin lips, tired eyes, dull skin, and more—with natural-looking results that create a more youthful and glowing appearance.
Please view our mommy makeover 3D animation to get a better idea of what you can expect in a typical procedure.
Who Is a Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?
Any mother who wants to look and feel her very best can potentially be a candidate for a mommy makeover. The first step in the process is scheduling a consultation with Dr. DiBello to explain your concerns and learn more about the options that are available to you. The appropriateness and safety of any given procedure will depend on the results of a physical examination, a comprehensive medical history review, and a discussion of goals and expectations. Dr. DiBello’s top priorities are centered around protecting your health and safety, as well as ensuring you are able to achieve a satisfying and beautiful outcome. With consideration to the findings gathered during your evaluation, Dr. DiBello will suggest the procedures that are best suited to your needs and desired results and create your personalized mommy makeover plan. This plan may include a variety of procedures, which can often be completed in a single operation—however, Dr. DiBello may recommend a phased approach when it is safest and most advantageous to do so.
Is a Mommy Makeover Safe?
As with any surgical procedure, mommy makeover surgery comes with inherent risks and safety concerns. Dr. DiBello has extensive experience in evaluating patients’ suitability for mommy makeovers and a reputation of safely performing the procedures contained in any mommy makeover treatment plan. Patients who choose Dr DiBello for plastic surgery can rely on him being thorough and meticulous at every stage of the process in order to mitigate potential risks and protect each individual’s health and safety. To that end, Dr. DiBello performs all of his mommy makeover surgeries in a fully accredited hospital, with overnight stay available. Patients can expect to be fully informed of all risks, precautions, and potential complications prior to surgery so they can make the most educated decisions about their care. The best thing any patient can do is follow all of Dr. DiBello’s recommendations and closely adhere to all pre- and post-operative instructions. If at any point in the process you have questions or concerns about safety, the team at DiBello Plastic Surgery is always available to assist you.
What is Recovery After a Mommy Makeover Like?
Since each mommy makeover is different, Dr. DiBello will provide you with specific post-operative instructions, based on the exact combination of procedures included in your mommy makeover. However, most patients are able to return to their normal routine approximately two weeks after surgery. Heavy lifting (including carrying children around), intense exercise, and other strenuous activities should be avoided for several more weeks, though, as they can potentially impact results negatively. Dr. DiBello advises mommy makeover patients to take it easy during recovery, and recommends having a family member or close friend available to help with any young children throughout the recovery process.
Most women do not experience significant pain after a mommy makeover, but Dr. DiBello will prescribe medication to help with any mild to moderate discomfort during recovery.
What Results Can I Expect After a Mommy Makeover?
The results you achieve from your mommy makeover will depend on the specific procedures performed during your surgery or surgeries and how your body heals. For all patients, Dr. DiBello strives to achieve the most beautiful and natural-looking results possible; however, patients must have reasonable and realistic expectations about the outcome of surgery. Prior to surgery, Dr. DiBello will take the time to explain the results you can anticipate from your procedures and can even show you before-and-after photos of patients who have undergone surgeries that are similar to the ones you are considering. The majority of Dr. DiBello’s mommy makeover patients are thrilled with the results of their procedures, as many have struggled for years with cosmetic concerns that they could not improve on their own. It is common for women to enjoy enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem following a mommy makeover, and it is arguably one of the most rewarding surgeries that Dr. DiBello gets to perform.
If you have questions about mommy makeover results and/or would like to see before-and-after photos of Dr. DiBello’s mommy makeover patients, we welcome you to schedule a consultation.
How Much Does a Mommy Makeover Cost?
Due to the highly customized nature of a mommy makeover, every patient’s final price will differ, based on the combination of procedures selected—however, most of Dr. DiBello’s mommy makeover patients spend around $13,000 for a full abdominoplasty and a breast lift, or $15,000 for a full abdominoplasty and a breast augmentation with lift (includes the price of saline implants; fat transfer breast augmentation is roughly the same). These average prices include Dr. DiBello’s fee, anesthesia fees, prescribed medications, hospital/surgical facility fees, pre-admission testing, and more. Please note: most mommy makeover prices listed online do not include the variables mentioned above; they only take the surgeon’s fee into consideration. To help you get a better idea of the actual overall cost, we have chosen to provide you with more realistic pricing. Also note that all of Dr. DiBello’s mommy makeover surgeries are performed in a hospital.
In your consultation with Dr. DiBello, you can receive a more precise price estimate, based on your customized treatment plan.
If you are interested in learning more about a mommy makeover, please contact us today for answers to your questions or to schedule a consultation with Dr. DiBello. In your consultation, Dr. DiBello can provide you with more personalized answers to your questions.